Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today's wines, Tuesday 10th Feb

Something changed this morning and there was suddenly some movement and interest again in the product. Boxes sold rather than just bottles. It's always intrigued me how there seems to be some factor which makes people do things at the same time, although I'm blowed if I know what it is. Doubt they do either.

Busy preparing for the Forum in Girona in under two weeks. Lots of winemakers converging as well as the buying public whether professional or private.

Vila's wine salesman turned up this morning as he said he would (not always the case in the Catalan wine biz) and we tried two vacu vin'd wines from his useful shoulder-bag: Brunus 2007 D.O. Montsant and 12 Volts 2007 D.O. Binissalem (? check). Excellent structure on the Brunus, with firm tannins, good cane berry fruit and just a bit warm. Chocolate on the nose of the 12 volts with plenty of vegetal character on the swirl. Quite fresh on the palate and rather interesting, but could be too expensive alongside wines we already have from the region (Miquel Oliver winery).

Tongue in cheek, I reminded him that I still hadn't received my invitation for the Alvaro Palacios tasting at the Bella vista hotel on the Monday of the Forum, since it turns out I can't go because I have to do my job. The invitation is mine for the asking should circumstances change he charmingly tells me, so Cinderalla still might be able to go to the ball.

He finds it difficult to sell in Girona because (as he's been told by locals) he's not from here. We're not talking foreign like me, we're talking from Barcelona. Imagine.

A turned up with a sample bottle of Peña Roble 2007 D.O. Ribera del Duero which I hope we can try by the end of the week. Haven't tried this wine for a couple of years, but always used to think it was very good value for money.

Looks like there'll be a tasting for a group of doctors at the end of March, thanks to a course I gave last year so gradually building back the brand.

No comments: